Unhealthy Versus Healthy Mold Growing On Food

November 5, 2015 at 3:45 pm | Posted in Checking Food Freshness | Leave a comment
Tags: , , ,

With the exception of cheese, should you find mold growing anywhere on food, don’t eat it or serve it! Throw the entire item away!

Inexplicably, mold will suddenly appear on potatoes, lettuce, bread, fruit and other food items improperly or even properly stored. But even if there is only a small amount of mold visibly growing, you still must throw the entire item away.

Just removing the moldy area, by slicing it off, is not good enough. Mold spores more than likely already have penetrated the entire item. Invisible to the naked eye, toxins formed by the mold sporesĀ can remain active within that food, causing illness.

Moldy cheeses, however, are safe to eat in that mold growing in and on cheese contains penicillin which is not harmful unless you happen to be allergic to penicillin. If anything, eating moldy cheeses such as Gorgonzola, Roquefort or blue cheese may help cure the beginning of a developing illness.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: